Latest Blog Posts »
- Making Memories about Forgetting 1 month ago Hat says that holidays are for making memories. Taking pictures. Making memories. Remembering. But when you squeeze the people you love most in the world into a house for a month, there are too many memories to make and not enough space to paste them all. Memories of meals and walks and sunrises...
- Onwards. Minding my Step. 5 months ago I finished Kate Spicer’s Lost Dog late last night and cried soft snotty sobs into my pillow. When I told Hat I was going to read it she asked, ‘you sure that’s a good idea, Mum?’ But it was. It was because it reminded me that the madness that descends when you lose a […]
- Running Away, Feeling Small 5 months ago The Ruaha is spilling and swallow-you-whole enormous. When we fly in, we float up the river’s throat like an eagle riding a thermal and I-spy elephants drinking. And then it’s to camp and to work as the heat sinks into my bones and makes me move too slowly. That and lunch. This is the […]
- Just a Dog 5 months ago I keep telling myself, sternly, ‘she was just a dog.’ But even dogs leave gaps. And in my often lonely life, where company is rare and precious, gaps gouged let an icy draught in. I got Pili 9 years ago when life was at its loneliest in the Outpost; Hat had just gone to Real […]
- A Night of Wings 9 months ago We think the rain isn’t coming. We say, ‘already May – and no rain; it’s not coming’. It’s too cool for rain now, we say. As it can be too cold for snow in the north, so it can be too cool for rain; in Africa rain follows crushing heat. Always. But then, […]
ExpatsBlog.com Featured Expat Blog Badge:
Website Reviews » There is 1 review on Reluctant Memsahib
18:08 PM November 12, 2014
Excellent writing. You are teaching us and sharing your world and thoughts, thank you. Teaching is a wonderful calling. Jesus taught people in His parables. It is wonderful your daughter has chosen to teach, she will bless people and it will return to bless her.