Latest Blog Posts »
- Eat Rio Food Tours enters the TripAdvisor Hall of Fame 7 months ago Although Eat Rio, the blog, started life back in 2011, Eat Rio Food Tours didn’t get going until late 2013. Since those early days a lot has changed – a few guides have moved on to new pastures (shout out to Diana in Vermont, Angela in Melbourne and Felippe in Bristol!) and a few guides...
- An Undercover Clown on the Eat Rio Food Tour 11 months ago Our Eat Rio food tour guests sometimes ask us “Don’t you ever get bored doing these tours? Don’t they feel repetitive?”. The answer is “Not at all! Every tour is different”. Although we may be visiting the same market or juice bar several times in a the space of a week, each tour is...
- Making and hunting chocolate in Rio 1 year ago At the very beginning of each of our food tours, the first thing the guide checks with the group is whether of them have any food allergies. The common ones are peanuts and shrimp, but the allergy list has a long tail and from time to time we encounter something unusual like sweet potatoes,...
- Adding another list to the list of lists 1 year ago Hi all! Well, my new regime of adding a new blog post every Friday has not exactly been a resounding success – I’ve already missed a few Fridays and, if I’m honest, today’s post is really more of a quick note so I can hi and not miss another week. The good news though is […] The post...
- Where can I find...? 1 year ago The 12 months after the Olympics were tough for everyone working in tourism in Rio. It seemed like people just stopped coming here. I know plenty of businesses went under during that year and the rest of us suffered. Everyone seemed to have a theory for this decline – perhaps it was because of...
ExpatsBlog.com Expat Blog Awards 2012: Brazil Honourable Mention Award!
This blog won the Honourable Mention Award for best expat blog in Brazil!Copy and paste code to display the Honourable Mention Award Badge:
Website Reviews » There are 8 reviews on Eat Rio
02:44 AM October 14, 2012
Tom's blog Eat Rio gives fascinating insights into life in Rio and Brazilian culture generally. His passion and innate curiosity are evident in every post. He's also built up a lot of valuable information for people visiting the city for the first time. Actually, I'm sure that a lot of people who have lived there would find a lot of it useful too. Tom has a knack of finding the best food and drink wherever he is.
05:53 AM October 16, 2012
I scanned through numerous blogs about Brazil before I landed on Eat Rio. Tom is genius at turning his daily observations about a foreign land, its people, its culture, and its history into entertaining and engaging posts. Tom gives his readers a sense of Brazil's dynamic and vibrant way of being with his beautiful photos and subjects as wide-ranging as food, language, music, race, and translations. Tom's blog eases my "saudade" for Brazil. I look forward to reading Eat Rio everyday.
14:51 PM October 16, 2012
Tom's blog is a great place to spend some time strolling around. The name doesn't say it all, because there is a lot more going on than just food and restaurants. you can find posts about day to day life in Rio, people, places, music, language, wildlife,... you name it. I found all the articles I read so far to be written in a pleasant and easy to read manner. Tom definitely knows his way around the marvelous city. Highly recommended indeed.
15:55 PM October 16, 2012
I read a lot of blogs on Brazil as a new expat here, and I find EatRio to be a great source of information, entertainment and advice. Tom makes interesting observations on all aspects of living in Rio and his witty style make his blog a fun and informative read. I always look forward to his next post. His photos are stunning, they could have a website of their own.
17:40 PM October 16, 2012
Like Brae, I also read through numerous blogs on Rio but found Tom's particularly helpful. Eat Rio was a fantastic starting point for me travelling to Rio for the first time. Whilst I am a fan of nice bars and restaurants, I love going to hidden gems that many tourists would not know about. I went to a few of the restaurants that caught my eye and the reviews he had given were extremely accurate. I will definitely be using his recommendations again when i next travel to Rio. I strongly recommend that others whether 1st time travellers or not use it too.
15:26 PM October 18, 2012
With Eat Rio, Tom has created a funny and insightful reference for anyone interested in getting under the surface of the expat experience in Brazil. Great for a good laugh, or as a tool to plan your trip to the Marvelous City. Anyone wanting to go beyond the stereotypical idea of the carioca lifestyle and the Rio experience should definitely visit Eat Rio.
15:55 PM December 17, 2012
This is one of my favorite blogs about life in Brazil. Tom's posts cover a variety of interesting topics, even venturing into Brazilian politics on occasion. I've especially enjoyed his posts about Brazilian music, where I've learned about incredibly talented artists whom I never would have known about otherwise. The comment threads on some of the posts include lively exchanges of ideas, and Tom often takes the time to post personal replies. Tom has managed to foster a sense of community for people with a shared interest in Brazil, and to me, that's the sign of a highly successful blog.
17:18 PM December 17, 2012
good site, friendly and informative, i intend to move to rio soon and this site helps...