Adventures in the Czech Republic
Latest Blog Posts »
- Wolves or not 5 days ago A friend and I were laughing recently about our mutual friend, Hannah, who always denied that wolves could be in the Czech Republic. But then she always denied that anything bad could be from the country. Even if she had a flu it was because you had brought it from England. Wolves had been hunted...
- Sumava - The Sound of the Forest 1 week ago I have been listening to a delightful radio programme on the BBC called Susurrations of Trees - susurration is the English word for the sound trees make. The programme does not just explore the sound made by different trees, but also the different words we have for those sounds - psithurism for...
- Dreaming Of Houses 2 weeks ago I sometimes dream of houses; I did last night. Hannah used to take the Jungian line on house dreams that they are not about houses but about the dreamer, with the various floors representing the dreamer's different levels of consciousness. I just note that they tend to happen when I am busy...
- Blogging 3 weeks ago One wonderful thing about my life in this country has been this blog. I don't think I fully realized its importance to me until now. Writing the blog was my first step towards starting writing again. Hannah knew that and encouraged me. Now as my stay in this country draws to a close, I have a...
- Remembering Hannah 3 weeks ago I am in a strange state of mind. I have returned to finalize the house sale. Unless things get delayed, which they might, this is my last stay in my home. I am already saying goodbye to places I have loved for years, and not just places. As I walked through the woods with Helena, and again when I...
ExpatsBlog.com Expat Blog Awards 2012: Czech Republic Honourable Mention Award!
This blog won the Honourable Mention Award for best expat blog in Czech Republic!Copy and paste code to display the Honourable Mention Award Badge:
Website Reviews » There are 11 reviews on Adventures in the Czech Republic
15:56 PM November 20, 2012
One of the coolest things about Zoe's blog is that we became friends because of it. I was blogging in Prague and she was blogging in South Bohemia. I can't say I know of a single other English-language blogger in South Bohemia. She writes about incredibly interesting stuff because she brings such a varied background to it: puppeteer, NGO manager, writer of great books, and tourism organizer to name a few. South Bohemia is lucky to have Zoe advocating for it. She brings new people to a special corner of the world through her writing and work.
19:20 PM December 10, 2012
How exciting to move to South Bohemia and to set up a blog bringing that corner of the world to England
20:24 PM December 10, 2012
Excellent way of knowing what is what
20:39 PM December 10, 2012
A lovely blog, revealing a real warmth for both the people and the place, and full of information about life in this little known area in the middle of Europe.
22:24 PM December 10, 2012
Always discovering the interesting details about Bohemia, the things we're too busy drinking coffee to find out about. She has a real feel for the place but with an English perspective. Good reading.
22:42 PM December 10, 2012
Fascinating, accessible blog that makes me want to visit the Czech Republic.
07:17 AM December 11, 2012
Very nice and interesting blog.
14:55 PM December 11, 2012
Always so knowledgable and interesting.
18:15 PM December 11, 2012
Great blog devoted to the Czech Republic, particularly the often over-looked areas outside of its capital city - with fascinating insights in to the culture and nature of various corners of the country. Occasionally poignant, frequently funny and always beautifully written.
13:11 PM December 12, 2012
I stumbled upon this blog purely by chance, and I find the posts about life in the Czech Republic from a British perspective a very enjoyable, well-written, and well-informed read.
21:51 PM December 12, 2012
I particularly enjoy reading this blog because it gives an account of life in rural Czech Republic where there are of course fewer expats. One of my favourite blog posts (on any blog I have read) was written some time ago but is so thoughtfully written, the post gives an account of a train journey to post Velvet Revolution (then) Czechoslovakia that few Westerners would have experienced. From this post I really got the feeling that life for Czechs was going to change but their history was always going to be there with them in the background. This post and many others evocatively convey what is happening in the Czech Republic from someone who knows the country and particularly South Bohemia very well.