Latest Blog Posts »
- Not just curtains (leaving centro/social upheaval and more) 1 week ago Curtains! Not a scintillating topic. Except why do I need curtains? And why have I spent fifteen minutes out of the last several days trying to get them back from the place I left them, and why do I leave empty handed, the smell of burnt coffee in my nostrils, as I placate my frustration […]
- Don't forget to turn your cats off, a linguistic lesson from Chile 10 months ago I thought I knew about cats. Yes, cats. After 15 years in Chile, surely I know enough not to look for their fifth foot, from the expression “no buscarle la quinta pata al gato,” which means to keep on looking for an explanation for something when there is none. I also knew to be aware […]
- 8M, the International Womens' Day March in Santiago, Chile (a commemoration, not a celebration) 11 months ago “Casi me emociono” said a woman standing next to me as I used the back of my hands to dry my own eyes. She “almost” got emotional. It was her way of saying it brought tears to her eyes, as it had mine. I was tempted to tell her “Y no soy ni chilena” (I’m […]
- In Which a Near-Dooring Leads to Tone Policing (tales of cycling and slang in Chile) 1 year ago Yesterday, as I periodically do, when nearly killed by a flung-open taxi door a solid meter from the sidewalk, I stopped to look the perpetrator in the eye. I developed this policy a long time ago, of wanting to personalize the cyclist, give the door-flinger a little reality check on what might...
- December Newly-Returned-to-Santiago Feria Kvell/Report 1 year ago There is this piece of Smith family lore, by which I usually mean to introduce something false, which I will later disprove or reframe, except in this case it’s true. It tells of a time when I, fresh from a brutally cold winter in Santiago, landed in my mother’s backyard on Long Island,...
ExpatsBlog.com Expat Blog Awards 2012: Chile Gold Award!
This blog won the Gold Award for best expat blog in Chile!Copy and paste code to display the Gold Award Badge:
Website Reviews » Bearshapedsphere has no reviews just yet
Unfortunately, no-one has been kind enough to leave a quick positive comment on this expat blog. Be the first!